Have you made a resolution for 2020? Are you considering making one? Or are you simply ignoring the changing of the calendar as a representation of when to make changes?!?
A new year does often equate to a fresh start for many. If you fall into this category and are considering a resolution here are some ideas that are a little outside of the standard giving up wine or chocolate or starting an exercise routine.
- Meditation or Mindfulness. Much research has been done in the area of mindfulness and what it does for both our mental health and our physical health. www.helpguide.org is a website in collaboration with Harvard Health Publishing that extensively outlines all of the amazing benefits. Would you take 10 or 20 minutes a day if you knew it might help alleviate chronic pain, lower blood pressure, improve sleep and reduce negative gastrointestinal issues? Mindfulness can be achieved in many different ways, through many different actions. For some they are very good at self guided meditation, focusing on breathing or a mantra, others prefer a yoga class. Even colouring can create a sense of peace that takes us away from the stress of our lives.
- Give One Compliment a Day! How great does it feel when someone notices your new hair cut or that you put some extra effort into your outfit? Or when someone compliments you for something you did to help them? It can feel just as good to compliment as others as it does to receive a compliment and it simply makes the world a kinder place. “That’s a beautiful colour on you!” “You just made me feel so good helping me with my groceries!” “Having a friend like you makes my life more fulfilling.” These are but just a few examples of compliments you can make to strangers, family members or friends. The closer the connection the more personal you can get. Telling your grandchild what a great parent they are can make a lifelong difference for them and their relationship with both you and their children!
- Reduce Waste. Look for ways you can decrease the imprint we leave on our planet. Maybe it’s turning the water off when brushing your teeth, or not using plastic bags anymore. There are so many ways we can all make a difference in how we impact the earth.
- Start writing your life story! Your kids, grandkids and great grandkids will all thank you for it! Leaving a legacy can be monetary or a story from your family that you can pass along!
- Write a letter each week and post it in the mail! These days people do not receive “snail mail” unless it’s a bill or a flyer for the sale at the local hardware store! Surprise 52 people this year with something you put your personal touch on! A letter, a post card, or a birthday or anniversary card. Do something that makes someone feel great!
Of course there are all kinds of wonderful resolutions you can make but if you’ve been stumped on some of the traditional ones that you’ve done before and maybe failed at, perhaps it’s time to take a look at some new or different ideas!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR from the Pearl & Pine Family to yours!